Discriminating Between Good And Bad Medical Supply Waste - 慈善 论坛

Discriminating between good and bad medical supply waste

Jonathan Mazal

Discriminating between good and bad medical supply waste

December 02, 2009 06:45

As an MRI technologist at a large academic hospital I witness constant waste of medical supplies that in my opinion are still of value. It is common policy that supplies that are not used prior to their expiration date are discarded (still in unopened packaging). Furthermore, supplies that have been removed from the package yet not used due to one reason or another are also discarded soon after opening.

Are these supplies, which I consider still good, of use to underpriveleged communities across the globe?

-Yony Mazal, BSRT(R)(MR)
Columbus, OH

to rate and post a comment

(13)
(4)
(1)

Richard A Schmidt

Re: Discriminating between good and bad medical supply waste

December 02, 2009 08:18

Equipmed Services has donated equipment and supplies via various agencies in the US. It is best to contact the agency and they can determine if the product is usable. Expired dates are usually okay. ie: sutures 2 years past date are okay. Film, a year past date. Same for other supplies. Usually they do not accept drugs.
The largest and most effient agency is "Feed the Children", they have partners all over the US who provide help all over the world and domestically.

1 person liked this

(3)

Laura Parenteau

Re: Discriminating between good and bad medical supply waste

January 29, 2010 09:22

As a volunteer, I work with free med. clinics during disasters. Working on Haiti now. Please see our website- would be happy to help you get these supplies to Haiti. http://www.capisdowntown.com/haitireliefoverview.html

advertisement