Medical Museum – A stethoscope from 1860

Medical Museum – A stethoscope from 1860

Sean Ruck, Contributing Editor | April 25, 2016
Stethoscope
From the April 2016 issue of HealthCare Business News magazine

Each month, we visit Dr. Blaufox’s Museum of Historical Medical Artifacts to take a look back at the medical equipment that cleared the way for what patients encounter in doctors’ offices and operating rooms of today. Some equipment may be recognizable, while other featured inventions have since become obsolete or have had their usefulness discredited. The picture and description appear courtesy of Dr. M. Donald Blaufox, M.D., Ph.D, from his website: www.mohma.org.

Servicing GE, Philips and Siemens CT equipment with OEM trained engineers

Numed, a well established company in business since 1975 provides a wide range of service options including time & material service, PM only contracts, full service contracts, labor only contracts & system relocation. Call 800 96 Numed for more info.



Category: Stethoscope
Estimated Date: 1860
Name: Stethoscope (wood)
Description: 6.65” long with broad taper to form a bell 1.5” in diameter. The ear piece is of the plug type and is carved from the same piece of wood. The piece narrows to about .65” at its narrowest and is widest at the bell end. The ear piece is .75” in diameter and .5” high. There is a 1.5” wooden insert which is 2” long and fits into the bell to markedly reduce the diameter of the tube. This is from Dr. William Porter’s medical bag. Porter lived from 1830-1894 and practiced in Surry, N.H., from 1853. He studied with his brother, Dr. Winslow Porter in Alstead. He attended lectures at Harvard from 1851-1852 and graduated from Old Worcester (Mass.) Medical School in 1853. In Surry he served as town clerk, postmaster, treasurer and representative to the general court. He was on the school board, a trustee of the library and master of the grange. He married Clementine Bach in 1854.

You Must Be Logged In To Post A Comment